January 27, 2023
Setting up the CARM Portal: A Walkthrough for Importers
If you are a Canadian importer, you will need to have access to your CARM client portal. Please follow the instructions below to gain access to your account. You can find the official CBSA set up guide here.
Please have the B3 for one of your recent import transactions ready. You can find this document in the billing package you receive from Carson.
- Navigate to the CARM client portal and select ‘Log in to the CARM Client Portal’
2. Click ‘Option 2: Continue to GCKey’
3. Click ‘Sign Up’
4. Follow the steps to create a user account
5. After your profile creation, you will be greeted with the First time setup page, from which two options will be available: Request access to my employer, or Register my business. Click ‘Register My Business‘.*
*It is possible one of your colleagues has already created an account for your business. If this is the case, you will be notified by the portal. Please then use the ‘Request access to my employer’ search option rather than clicking on ‘Register my business’.
6. Enter your business number as prompted. If you are uncertain of your business number, note that the first nine digits will match your GST number followed by the letters ‘RM’ and your sub-account number, conventionally this is ‘0001’.*
*You may check a recent invoice/B3 from Carson if you are uncertain.
7. Enter the business’ legal name and address. Note that the legal name and address must be exact. This will match what the CRA has on file for your business.*
*If you have issues with this section, please contact the CARM support desk. Select the topic of “Online portal support” and “CARM Client Portal – setting up my business account”. Include a description of: “I require assistance activating my business account.”
8. Select your preferred security questions. We recommend the following two:
- ‘What is the transaction number and total duties and taxes of one of your recent transactions?’
- ‘What is the balance of your last Statement of Account?’
9. For the transaction number question, find a recent invoice from Carson and its associated B3.
- Enter the transaction number (starts with ‘15008’)
- Enter the total amount of duties and taxes
10. For the SOA question, you may require our assistance as not all importers receive a copy of this statement. You may contact our office if you are uncertain.*
*If you cannot reach us, you can also contact the CARM support desk.
11. Once you have access to the portal, be sure to provide Carson with access so we can continue to serve your account. This can be done by clicking on the ‘Manage pending third party requests’ link.
12. In the ‘Received requests’ tab, you should see a request from Carson.
13. Select ‘All Programs’, and ‘Business Management’ as the access type
14. For transaction visibility, please check all boxes and click the ‘approve’ button
15. You’re done!
For any additional questions, please call 888-422-7766